First Post!

First off, welcome to my new HMP blog! I am excited to get this going and really get involved in writing for this class this semester. This feels a bit awkward but here goes nothing...

My name is Grace Callahan and I am junior in the Health Management & Policy program here at UNH. I am from Charlestown, MA a small neighborhood of Boston. Growing up, I was always around the health care world and have know since I was applying to school that I would like to find a profession somewhere in the health field. I feel really passionate about helping people advocate for their rights and the health care that they need. To me, I feel like everyone should have access to resources to live a healthy life. I also really enjoy working with kids so I am hoping I can incorporate pediatrics somewhere. I am still figuring out exactly what I want my end goal to be but as I begin my more health care intensive classes I feel happy that this is the major I chose! 

For my first post I thought it would be kind of cool to talk about my generation, millennials, and sort of their effect on the future health care world. I found an interesting article on how the characteristics that millennial have will help improve the the health care field. How Will Millennials Change the Healthcare Workforce, of course, talks about how tech savvy our generation is. How we will be able to use our nature of social media and screens to amp the technology in the work force but there was one quality that really resonated with me. The article talks about how millennials in a healthcare management position would be more perceptive to fairness in the work place. Both on the HR end but also in the payroll end. They proposed the idea of "... implement pay-for-performance programs that demonstrate fairness." For me when choosing a place of employment I think that fairness, especially between genders, is something that will be important to me. As someone who maybe one day aspires to be in a management position, being fair and creating an open platform for people to want to be able to work at their best ability, this was something that made me hopeful in the AMN article I read. 

https://www.amnhealthcare.com/latest-healthcare-news/healthcare-workforce-millennials/

Hope you enjoyed my first post, I am excited to hear feed back! 

-Grace 

Comments

  1. Grace, you hint at some intriguing thoughts on compensation for professionals in healthcare with your first post. I encourage you to explore these ideas further as you grow in the career field. This is a concern that has occupied a lot of mental space over the years in executive leadership.
    One circumstance comes to mind in a pay-for-performance scheme and that is on the so-called "VA Scandal." Here is an article to peruse if you would like to know more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal_government/va-report-provides-lessons-to-other-agencies-on-what-not-to-do-stress-on-metrics-risky/2014/06/10/5757470e-f0c1-11e3-bf76-447a5df6411f_story.html

    Best of luck with the course,
    -Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pay for performance is an interesting concept. It's not as easy to implement as it sounds. And there is the risk of getting what you pay for (and not getting what you do not pay for).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the ideas you brought forth are very provocative. I have seen many P4P schemes that all seem to lead to waste, fraud, and abuse on some level. The panacea of healthcare is to find a value based payment methodology that not only provides better health outcomes, incentives good physicians to join the networks, but also saves money. I have attached some links regarding how P4P methodologies backfired, just for funzies.

    http://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article8903579.html

    https://www.simpleltc.com/texas-turmoil-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-hhsc-tmhp-xerox-lawsuit/

    https://youtu.be/3EUHojs2Pw8

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grace - this article reminded me of a story where the CEO of Gravity took a 90% pay cut in order to raise the minimum wage at his company to $70K. Check out this link below. I think you'll find it interesting.

    http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/14/news/companies/ceo-pay-cuts-pay-increases/index.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts