Post 13: Health Care in Ireland

When deciding on a topic this week I came up short, all the news in America makes me uneasy at this point. Thus, I decided to explore other countries.

Last fall in 2016 I has the opportunity to study abroad for a semester in Limerick, Ireland. I had intended on taking a class about European health care class, but it was not available the semester I went. Ireland is a place my family is very connected to and even a place I would consider for grad school if I had the opportunity. Anyways, I have never really explored the way that their healthcare system works, so that is what I am going to do.

Ireland's healthcare system is similar to those of other European healthcare systems. Their system runs more on residency and income than on tax payments. You can enroll in Ireland's healthcare system if you are an ordinary resident of Ireland, living there for more than 1 year regardless of your ethnicity. One of the most interesting parts of their health system is their "medical cards". These are similar to our Medicaid or subsidies policies.

Medical Cards are given out based on means tests, based on your income. Services provided if you have a medical card include doctors visits, prescription drug coverage, dental, ear, and eye services, inpatient hospital care, outpatient hospital visits, medical and midwifery services for pregnant women, and other person public health services.

The things covered are extensive and helpful for those who can not afford Ireland's private insurance. The system is obviously more complex but it is cool to research a different country than America, you never know where you'll end up!




Your Guide to Medical Cards. (n.d.). Retrieved December 10, 2017, from http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/mc/focuson/aboutmedicalcards.205700.shortcut.html

Comments

Popular Posts